Thursday, November 7, 2019

Enable exFAT File System on Ubuntu 19.10

I recently install Ubuntu 19.10 into my laptop for a trial.

One problem immediately after I boot up for the first time is that the system does not able to read my sdcard. I had one 400GB sdcard always inside my laptop's sdcard slot as my storage drive. But Ubuntu has a problem reading this sdcard. Whenever I try to mount the sdcard in the file browser, I will get an error message saying that the filesystem is unknown.

After some digging the problem actually lies with the type of file system for my micro sdcard. It seems like for Linux Kernel 5.3, and below, it does not support exFAT file system out of the box. But there is a solution to this.

To fix this issue, I will need to install 2 packages for my Ubuntu to support exFAT file system. The command line to install these packages are:
sudo add-apt-repository universe
sudo apt update
sudo apt install exfat-fuse exfat-utils
 Open your terminal by using Ctrl + Alt + T or open it from your program menu, and insert these 3 lines one by one.

After that, you can head over to your file explorer and click on the sdcard to mount it. It should work flawlessly.


No comments:

Post a Comment